There are a total of 25 meaningful use requirements. Fifteen are core requirements and 10 are "menu" requirements. To qualify for incentives, you need to meet a total of 20 requirements - all of the core requirements, plus five "menu" requirements of your choice.
The 15 core requirements (you need to meet all of these)
use computerized order entry for medication orders
- check drug-drug and drug-allergy interactions when you prescribe or order drugs
- keep an up-to-date list of a patient's current diagnoses
- use e-prescriptions rather than paper when permissible
- keep an active medication list for each patient
- keep an active allergy list for each patient
- record key demographics: language, gender, race, ethnicity and date of birth
- record and chart changes in key vital signs: height, weight and blood pressure. You also need to calculate BMI and plot a growth chart for children 2-20 years old. (Don't worry, the BMI calculation and plotting happens automatically when you enter the height and weight.)
- record smoking status
- report clinical quality measures to Medicare or Medicaid. (We've got a report that runs these for you.)
- use at least one of Stratus EMR's clinical decision support rules
- provide patients with an e-copy of their health information upon request
- provide clinical summaries for each office visit
- be able to exchange clinical information with other providers
- keep personal health information safe
- give patients electronic access to their record
The 9 "menu" requirements (you need to meet only 5 of these)
- use drug formulary checks
- incorporate lab results into a patient's record (scanned PDFs don't count here)
- run lists of patients with given conditions
- send patients reminders about follow-up or preventive care
- give patients electronic access to their lab results, medication list, allergy list and problem list
- use the information in a patient's record to automatically identify education resources and give selected material to the patient
- do a medication reconciliation when the patient comes to you from another provider
- send a summary care record with the patient if you send the patient to another provider
- send data to immunization registries electronically
- send data about certain syndromes to public health agencies electronically
We realize some of these requirements may sound a bit daunting or difficult to meet. But when you use Stratus EMR, you'll meet most of them with minimum effort. A lot of them require just a click of a button - and it's a button you'd probably click anyway.
If you have any questions about how to meet the measures, we're always here to help.
Feel free to download the complete list of requirements from Medicare with full details on each.